Tuesday, June 3, 2008

WSS 3.0/MOSS Install Error

Today when I was trying to configure a new server I ran across the following error upon installing WSS 3.0

This is the second time we have seen this error and were somewhat familiar with it, thanks to the below post we were able to fix it pretty quickly and move on with the installation.

Error Message:

Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error(s):

This product requires ASP.NET v2.0 to be set to ‘Allow’ in the list of Internet Information Services (IIS) Web Server Extensions. If it is not available in the list, reinstall ASP.Net v2.0. Correct the issue(s) listed above and re-run setup.

Fix:

Well, with the help of this
blog post, I was able to get it working. Here’s the deal: I believe the issue was that IIS (with ASP.NET support in Windows Components) was installed/enabled after the installation of .NET 2 and .NET 3 and their service packs. As a result those frameworks were not registered in IIS.

Enter the
aspnet_regiis command. It is found in the following folder(s):
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727 – 64-bit Windows only.
I ran the command with an –i switch in the second directory, as this was an x64 box. The MOSS Enterprise setup worked just fine after that. There are dangers to running the –I switch on production boxes
here, but since this was a fresh server with nothing on it, the aspnet_regiis –i worked perfectly for me. I did also need to allow .NET extensions in IIS.



No comments: