Thursday, March 11, 2010

VSeWSS 1.3 nightmare

As I'm casually sitting around on a Thursday I decided to start making some custom web parts so I installed the Visual Studio 2008 extensions for SharePoint on my dev server (Windows 2003, running MOSS 2007 sp2).

I started with the good ole' Hello World Web Part, easy - great - done - deploy and ERROR. The error logs can be found on C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\VSeWSS 1.3

1st error I get is: Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.WebNotFoundExeception: No SharePoint site exists at the specified URL. - Go back into the project properties > debug tab > URL I changed the URL from http://name/ to http://machinename/ so, deploy again and we get error #2

2nd error: VSeWSS Service Error: Feature GUID is not installed in this farm, and can not be added to this scope. - when I figure this one out, I'll post an update.

All I have to say is what a POS!!!!! I gave up on trying to figure it out in VS. I went to Central Admin > Operations > Manage Solutions - the dumb solution is there so I deployed it. Then went to my site collection settings > Site Collection Features and activated the stupid web part.

After all that, a whole 4.5 hours later the web part is on a page and working. Next time just take a pencil and stab me in the eye.

3 comments:

wael fekry said...

the same thing that i facing in my proudaction server but in my test server it is fine

CJ said...

Thanks for this post, this helped me out! I'm still getting the stupid error though everytime I build, so I have to just keep doing the same thing. Have you found any workarounds for this?

Jen said...

I got around it by going into Central Admin and doing a manual solution deployment...it worked fine, but not the point, VS should have deployed it for me!!!